North Coast locality facts
- One of the highest life expectancies (compared to other localities)
- Higher household income
- Significant pockets of deprivation, including the Isle of Cumbrae (a fragile economy)
- Relatively low unemployment
- Young people performing well academically
Many visitors and retirees are attracted to the area due to the appeal of the seaside and island life. There is consequently a large elderly demographic within this locality which brings significant health and social care challenges as people are living longer with multiple co-morbidities and disabilities.
North Coast locality planning forum has identified the following priorities:
- Reduce social isolation of older people and those with complex needs.
- Develop support for young people who suffer from stress and anxiety
- Reduce the impact of musculoskeletal disorders
- Promote opportunities for financial inclusion
What Matters to You? 2017
On June 6 2017, we asked approx 2500 local people, ‘What matters to you about health and social care in North Ayrshire?’ We used this feedback to inform health and social care plans for local services.