Returning from hospital
We will support you with your rehabilitation after a spell in hospital.
Planning to go home
We will carry out a needs assessment with you, your relatives and carers. You will be involved in deciding how your care and support will be provided once you leave hospital. Together we will consider:
- If it is safe and practicable for you to return home
- What support services you may need
- How you’ll manage prescribed medication
- Equipment or adaptations that may help
- If your carer will be able to cope
We can provide services or refer you to services, including:
- Making sure that your benefits are restarted (if stopped while in hospital)
- Initiating a claim for benefits (if your circumstances have changed)
- Referring you for respite and/or day services
- Liaising with housing colleagues to consider sheltered accommodation
- Referring you to the Independent Living Service
- Introducing you to our Dementia Support Service (if appropriate)
Will I be charged?
For people over the age of 65 years of age, no charges apply to Care at Home Service in the first four weeks following discharge from hospital. Care at Home Service that continue after the first four weeks are subject to our charging policy.
There is no charge for Reablement Services.
Charges for services are subject to financial assessment. We’ll ensure that you receive all the benefits you are entitled to. Your social worker will provide you with more information on this process. We’ll always take into account your ability to pay.
If I’m unable to go home
Your assessment may show that it is not safe, or practicable, for you to return home.
- If this happens, residential or nursing care may be considered. If you are assessed as needing residential or nursing care, you and your family/carers, will be given information on the range of care homes, their availability and costs.
- A financial assessment will determine if you will have to pay towards care home fees. You’ll be advised how to access inspection reports from the Care Inspectorate.
To find out how we can help, please call 01294 323092
Hospital Social Work Team, North Ayrshire Health and Social Care Partnership, 1st floor admin, Ayrshire Central Hospital, Kilwinning Road, Irvine KA12 8SS